Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Back At One

So if you have ever been relaxed, you know how you felt the first day your natural hair went from kinky, soft, curly hair, to straight, laid, shiny hair.  It felt liberating and relieving.  No more tugs, pulls, "ouches" and trying to figure out what to do with your hair.  Well, that's how it was for me anyway.  I begged and begged my mom to get a relaxer, and after several no's, she finally obliged.  After the process I was ecstatic.  See I hated my natural hair.  Anything was better than the cotton ball I had on top of my hair.  It meant no more being called tender headed by my older sister who was tasked with torturing (I mean taking care of) my hair.  It meant, I would finally be able to manage my hair on my own.  It meant wash days would be a breeze and that I would no longer cry because I had to get it washed.  Yup, I was too happy to now be able to have the hair my sisters had and be able to take care of it myself.  Hmph..so I thought...LOL.  You see, ironically, after years of having it straight, I did everything to it, because I became dissatisfied with even straight hair.  I cut it, dyed it, and finally, I said screw it and got braids, consistently for several years.   For the next 12-15 years, I sat in a chair, for upwards of 12 hours and had my hair braided-three times a year faithfully.  Braids would go in and stay in for several weeks.  I would take them out and relaxed all in the same day.  By the next day, I was getting a new braided style again. You would never catch me with my hair out.  In retrospect, I realized that I never wanted to style or enjoy my relaxed hair, you know, have it roller set, or wrapped in a salon. I just wanted straight hair, thought it was better-it was my mentality. 

So let's fast forward to July 27, 2010.  I was preparing for a trip out of town with my son to sunny hot Orlando in two days.  I had just taken braids out of my hair, and needed something done quickly.  I had decided on African Twists-yes, more braids.  In my area however, you're hard pressed to find someone to do them.  Well, let me be honest, I'm particular and would be going to only one of two places.  So, after finding that no one could work me into their schedule, or really I couldn't work them into mine given the time constraints, I decided, ok, this is a sign, it's time to go natural.  I had no idea what I would look like, anything about products, or have any of the knowledge I have now, but I was mentally ready.  I hadn't had a relaxer in the eight months prior (later I learn that is called transitioning).  I know I didn't want to deal with the state my hair was in by figuring out any style that required me to do my own hair, and I had been contemplating for a while embracing my natural texture, so figured now was the time.  I made an appointment, and on July 29, 2010, I was natural and free.  It was the best decision I had made for myself in a very long time, and I don't regret it at all.  Learning from YouTube, hair blogs, books, other naturalistas and attending hair events have helped me to love, learn and grow my hair and have me regreeting that I disliked it so much in the first place.  I now know that the hair that grows from my scalp naturally is good enough.  It's versatile and beautiful and will grow if you take care of it.  Your hair journey is your own; it's unique.  Embrace and have fun with it.  You too will find the joy in natural hair.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely information about the fashion and it is very useful i will go here so thanks for sharing.

    Glass Of Venice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chrissy! This is Ravenpriestess from CurlyNikki Forums *waves*! Yes, I remember how long it took for me to love my curls. I'm so blessed to be at this point, but it's looking back on my struggles that empowers me to help others today. I really feel that when that turning point comes, it becomes more than about hair. Our hair is symbolic of our heritage as well. For me, choosing to allow my curls and coils to be free empowers me to fully embrace my past. Happy black history month, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hun!!! Thanks for stopping by!!! I so agree with you about the turning point; and it being way more than about our hair. Like you I really feel passionate about helping people get to that "ah hah" place when they realize how free and empowered they can be when they embrace themselves naturally.

      Delete