Monday, March 11, 2013

Curly Nikki Book Signing-LIV Nightclub Washington DC

Ok, so there are natural hair meetups and events all the time right? You learn great info, get great hair advice, meet some cool people and may get a couple of sample packs of hair products if you're lucky.  Well this past Saturday, March 9, 2013, I had the pleasure of attending a celebration of sorts; an event to rival all events.  Mrs. Nikki Watson, aka "Curly Nikki" came to the nations capital along with Shea Moisture as part of her book signing tour for her novel Better Than Good Hair.  It was a great event!!!  Organized, fun, informative, and chill were all the words that came to mind as I recapped the event in my head, the very moment it was over.  When you got there, you were greeted by two young ladies on the Shea Moisture team who made sure you were on the RSVP listing-one in the front of the line; one in the back.  This made for a cohesive way of entering. When I arrived, I was excited to find that there was no line.  They showed you indoors, and you were then greeted by another young lady who welcomed you and explained all the going ons inside.  The first thing I saw when I walked inside was the beautiful Nikki herself standing on the purple carpet smiling and taking pictures.  She kept this smile the entire time as she greeted, mixed, mingled, signed books and the like for over three hours.  She was truly a gem.  There was a bar open for drinks, (you had to be at least 21 to get into this event). There also was a beautiful dj adorned in her Beats by Dre spinning on the 1's and 2's.







Upstairs you would find a buffet for snacking, and a set up for attendees to give their take on why they became natural-the Shea Moisture crew was using the footage for a segment they were doing, and you had to sign a waiver and all that good stuff to particpate.  They also gave one-on-one consultations for those wanting to know more about their specific hair needs and/or Shea Moisture products. There was also a station for you to purchase Better Than Good Hair (if you hadn't already) and have it signed by Nikki.  I had the pleasure of already having a personalized signed copy in my possession as I won a contest for it hosted by Marisol aka "MamaNaturalista".  Speaking of Mrs. Marisol, I got a chance to chat with her as well.  She is really such a sweet and kind women.  I see her at all the local events (and all over the net)and she is a riot and is always a pleasure to see and hear in person.  At this particular event, I got the chance to sit and chat with her, about everything, from her hair, to her home life, to attending events and such.  It was great to have that curltalk/girltalk with her. 









There were a lot of natural hair bloggers and vloggers in the building.  I recognized so many of them from YouTube and Instagram (and all the other social sites). I was a party of one so I looked forward to meeting and greeting and met some wonderful naturalistas along the way.  Even after it was over, I had a chance to chat with some women outside about how great it was that Shea Moisture gave away full sized products in their goodie bags, and just how pleased we were with the event overall. Shea Moisture also conducted a live Instagram giveaway where you had to post a picture of yourself at the event, tag them, and Curly Nikki, and use specific hashtags.  The person(s) with the most likes won..that was pretty awesome; think there were three winners for that. Congrats to those that won.  Shea Moisture really knows how to show appreciation to their customers.  I've always loved and patronized the brand, but this event just solidified how far they've come and will go in the beauty/natural hair industry.  Kudos to them for putting on such a wonderful event for Curly Nikki.  It was a great time had by all!!!  See ya at the next one.









2 comments:

  1. Hey there I am at that bar, go figure! (Your picture captured the back of my crazy red hair, haha) That was such a great event, I had the best time. And Curly Nikki is so beautiful!
    www.shellbcheri.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hun!!! LOL. I sure did capture your beautiful strands and hue ;) That bartender was on point wasn't she!!! This was a fantastic event. I may need to slide to another city just to do it all over again!!! Thanks for stoppin by!!

    ReplyDelete